09 August 2010

My Body is a Temple...

It has happened. I looked in the mirror and finally took stock of what the past year has done to my body. Is it horrible? No. Did I ignore ALL of the lessons that Shari (The Wonder Trainer) taught me? Every. Single. One.

Now, this would be fine and dandy if I still felt the way that I did last August, but I don't. There are a few subtle changes that I've noticed.

1. I've been focusing more on clothes that make my body look good, (i.e. spanx, décolletage, and optical illusions) instead of just finding things that compliment my shape.

2. My skin has run amuck.

3. My kick ass self-confidence is becoming increasingly easy to rattle.

4. The prospect of going to the gym makes me anxious... even when planning on going to the classes I like.

I'd say that's enough to realize that some changes need to be made, yes?

Rather than building out a 6-day-a-week workout schedule and cutting out everything that I love, I've decided that I'm going to try a one-word life change: RESPECT. I will respect myself - body and mind. Here's how I plan to manifest this concept in my daily life:

- I will use natural products on my face, and will no longer attack zits that no one can see but me.

- I will take myself for walks, go to yoga classes, and try to make time in my day to really sweat.

- I will cook my breakfast and dinner, taking the time to fully experience my meal. This includes eating until comfortably full, but not past it.

- I will eat dessert, (OF COURSE!) but I plan to only eat desserts that I've made myself, or that I can buy directly from where they are made.

- I will get rest during the week. Being diligent 8-5 means less late nights, and a much happier Katie.

- I will continue to keep alcohol consumption to a minimum. Luckily, I'm just crazy enough to get away with being sober at parties!

- I will voice my anxiety, frustrations, or what-have-you shortly after their appearance. I will not let anything fester.

- I will 100% accept who I am right now. There is absolutely nothing healthier than good self-esteem.

So, the only issue now is whether or not this is as easy in practice as it is in theory. Convenience stores are the closest places to me at all times, I get hungry at the same hour as senior citizens, 6 am is a rough time to get yourself out of bed when you've been doing spreadsheets all night, fear of confrontation is an amazing motivator to shut up, and my favorite TV shows are on when I should be going to bed. Taking care of myself means adding another step to every part of my life - compromising instant gratification for overall well-being. I'll just hope that I'll be motivated enough to practice some patience and self-control.

Love,
Katie

No comments: