19 January 2010









While reading through marketing blogs and recent Nielsen data, I came across this photo. Normally I don't notice the photos accompanying the written results, but this one struck me. How many of you have seen "older" men and women that look like this?? The man has pectoral muscles, and the woman has a taught neck and what appears to be a rounded upper boob, not to mention that they're both better toned than most people my age... to which I say: "Whaaaaaa??!!"

If you happen to remember the post I had about plastic surgery gone wrong, I pose this photo as part of the problem. Since when did the beauty of aging become the beauty of trying to look 30 for the rest of your life? How can we possibly have a healthy attitude towards our own maturation, if every photo we see is telling us that we're not doing it "correctly?" During a random work assignment, I started talking to a woman in the office about face-lift procedures, to which she responded, "I laughed a hell of a lot to get these wrinkles, thank you. I'd like to keep them."

Why can't more of us be like my sassy coworker? Although the aches and pains are sure to be a headache, I'd like to think that I'll be able to look at the progression of my face and body as a reminder of all of the experiences I've had. Perhaps the idea of erasing my wrinkles could be a sort of blasphemy, or at least regarded as a regrettable act - like the fading of my favorite scar over the years, taking the story with it.

Do you think it's possible? Or will I hit 30 and immediately see my bourgeoning wrinkles as a constant reminder of the fact that my best days are behind me? Is there a way to disassociate aging from the loss of experience and excitement?

Love,
Katie

No comments: