14 December 2009

Movies...?

So, it has become extremely clear to me that I have missed out on some very important movies. Most notably this time of year... The Christmas Story. Despite the fact that it runs on loop every Christmas, I have never seen it. Apparently this is a faux pas of the most extreme in nature.

Anyway, what I figured I'd do is make a list of some of my favorite movies, and then you all can tell me yours in the comments section (don't you go emailing/facebooking/etc me... we're going to SHARE.) Together we can make magic happen... or at least come up with some must-see-movies so that I can stop looking like such a nit-wit.

Here are some of my all-time faves (in alphabetical order):

10 Things I Hate About You - Just in case you were ever wondering if you can, "just be whelmed."

Big Fish - The first movie to ever make me cry. So. Freaking. Touching.

The Boondock Saints - Who doesn't love men with accents shooting bad guys?? Tell me, who??

Capote - Deeply disturbing in the absolute best of ways.

City of God - This movie will break your heart.

The Departed - I think I would watch this movie just for Mark Wahlberg's character. BAD. ASS.

Dogma - I swear this movie started me on my path to atheism.

Fight Club - I will not break Rule #1.

Finding Nemo - "I shall call him Squishy, and he shall be mine, and he shall be my squishy." No more needs to be said. 

The Hangover - There is something magical about the epic things men come up with while drunk.

The Illusionist - Magic, Action, Romance... Edward Norton.

Life as a House - Hayden Christiansen actually does an amazing job acting in this one. I KNOW!! I COULDN'T BELIEVE IT!!

Little Miss Sunshine - For all the fabulously awkward little girls in the world.

Love Actually - I don't think there's a single female that wouldn't put this movie on their list of faves.

A League of Their Own - I watched this movie about 15 times when I was younger. I'm still shocked that Madonna was in it... let alone with her natural hair color.

Milk - Second movie to ever make me cry, and I did it both times. The candlelight vigil makes me weep like a baby.

The Neverending Story - EPIC.

The Notebook - I've gotten to the point where I have seen it enough to fast-forward through the old people parts... I just love watching people fall in love.

Office Space - Best scene in almost any movie I have ever seen is the one where they bash in the copier/fax machine.

Oldboy - This was my introduction to Korean horror... there's a scene where the dude battles thugs in a hallway that is just too awesome for words.

Pride and Predjudice... any version - A love based upon quick-witted, mutual mockery? YES PLEASE!!

The Princess Bride - I know a woman who dated Mandy Patinkin (Inigo Montoya). This was, however, when he was about 12-years-old. Still cool, though.

Saved! - Mandy Moore's portrayal of an evangelical Christian who loses sight of the message she's truly supposed to be spreading is, well, hilarious. I also love the fact that Macaulay Culkin came back from his acting purge for the role of Roland.

Shakespeare in Love - The scene where Shakespeare undoes Viola de Lessups' bindings... causes... inappropriate desires.

Some Like it Hot - I happen to really love Marilyn Monroe... and the fact that this movie came out in the 50's blows my mind. Hey Mal, wanna watch this with me again?

Thelma & Louise - These broads are amazing. It also doesn't hurt that there's a half-naked young Brad Pitt traipsing about... even if he does steal from the ladies.

To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything (Julie Newmar) - Wesley Snipes, Patrick Swayze, and John Leguizamo in drag. It's absolutely an hour and a half well spent.

V for Vendetta - No matter how much I love this movie for the story, imagery, and brilliant acting... I still come away from it thinking about how much I wish I looked as hot bald as Natalie Portman.

Wedding Crashers - Men doing crazy things for sex... how can it not be hilarious??

Wet Hot American Summer - If only every summer camp were this awesome...

Y tu mamá también - This is a movie where you start out wondering why the heck everyone raves about it... but by the time the credits roll, you realize that you've just witnessed something truly genius.

I am positive that I have left out some crucial movies... but I can always have another blog post. Now... respond!!

Love,
Katie

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I hope that by the time I've left this comment, you've seen Christmas Story. It's a classic!

Awesome list of movies! I agree 100%

I MISS YOU